Tuesday 24 March 2015

Task 2C: Reflective Theory



Reader two has provided me with an encyclopedia to use in my reflective theory. The vast amount of context alarmed me at first, but I then began to separate the theories into chunks of information, re-reading and jotting down notes on each idea. So this got me thinking, how do I learn?
I find it easier to read literature in disjointed sections so it doesn't confuse me. I have also discovered that by taking notes as I read the extracts helps me to maintain clarity on the subject matter. Once I have fully understood the text, I can expand on the idea by relating it to my past experiences in my profession. 

This leads me onto the concept of Kolb's "Learning cycle": (1984)




The point at which you learn depends on which point you enter the cycle. I believe I enter the cycle at the "Reflective observation" stage. I tend to look back on what I have just experienced, rather than realising I am learning something in motion. Watching others is something I am accustomed to. Watching a dance teacher demonstrate steps in ballet class, so I can replicate those movements and learn something new. However, I think the actual physical and mental process of learning a new step in dance can relate to Kolb's learning cycle in an 'active' way. For example, the dancer can perform a step, it can be corrected and the dancer will be informed of a new way to execute that step. The dancer then learns from that experience, eventually attempting the new move, taking the correction onboard and aiming to improve their technique. 

One particular theory that I felt I could really relate to was Donald Shon's concept of "Reflection-in-action" and "Reflection-on-action “ (1987). Reflection can happen while you are in the middle of it or reflection can happen looking back on it. I found this interesting as the reflection-in-action relates to my profession; dancing is active, and a 'hands on' way of working. Academics use reflection-on-action as a response to what is happening by going away and reflecting upon the experience. The idea is embellished by Robert Kottcamp, who likens reflection-in-action to "online" and reflection- on-action to "offline." He highlights that reflection-in-action is harder to achieve. 

"The latter type is more difficult to achieve, but the more powerful for improvement of practice because it results in 'online' experiments to adjust and achieve one's professional actions. "  (Kottcamp, 1990).

 As a dancer I have been taught from a very young age to reflect-in-action. This happens simultaneously and often without realisation. If a movement isn't correct, I will automatically try and establish an alternative step to try and improve my technique. Kottcamp states that this type of reflection underlines that the type of profession you come from has an impact on the ways you reflect. I completely agree with this theory. An active way of learning comes very naturally to me, however the conceptual side (reflection-on-action) is foreign territory. Academics use reflection-on-action to reflect on new ideas in their profession that are constantly evolving and changing. The dance world is developing, but in a more physical way. 

Dance is considered more athletic than it used to be. Here is a short article from the Dance Consortium portraying "Dancers as Athletes":
                                                                                                                   

I agree entirely with this, it's short and sweet but pin points my views brilliantly. During my three years at Ballet school I was dancing ten hours a day, six days a week, and the physical strain your body goes through is unbelievable. So I have the upmost respect for ballet dancers. Your body is your temple, and inevitably it is also your livelihood so it is imperative to keep your body in the best condition. Intense training is needed to acquire the strength and stamina of a dancer, to avoid injuries and survive days of countless performances and rehearsals. Dancers need to be athletic to endure the everyday challenges, but dancing for me is really about the artistry. I can appreciate technically strong dancers that will impress me with their flexibility and multiple pirouettes, but I look for dancers with the ability to move an audience and have such charisma you can't tear your eyes away from them. 

I have previous experiences in my professional career of Kottcamp's "offline" engagement. At Ballet school I kept a ballet diary where I noted corrections that were given to me in class and thought about what I would like to improve on. During rehearsals for a cruise ship I regularly used a ‘performers diary’, where I scribbled down the exact steps of the routines in graphic form either in pictures or diagrams. Corrections were also recorded, so I could clearly see where I could progress before the next rehearsal or show. So my past experiences on reflection-on-action relates to my journal and blogs I am completing during module one. I have reflected on my work and can clearly see my progression already.

“Active, persistent, and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends.” (Dewey, 1933).
John Dewey was an American philosopher who viewed education as an experimental action. In his book “Art as experience” (1934) he states that art isn’t just an object or a being, but a development of an experience. An experience is something that personally affects your life. That is why these theories are so important to our social and educational experiences. I possess invaluable experiences from my career that I regard as both educational and beneficial to my dancing. One particular routine in the production show incorporated the style of choreographer Bob Fosse. We focused the whole day on looking into his intricate and sassy style, to really do justice to the piece. This ‘experience’ is significant to me and I will take it with me in my professional practice.

“…muscle memory. Automatic. Precise. A little scary.  The second time through, however, or trying to explain the steps and patterns to the dancers, she will hestitate, second-guess herself, question her muscles, and forget. That’s because she’s thinking about it, using language to interpret something she knows nonverbally. Her memory of movement doesn’t need to be assessed through conscious effort.”
 (Tharp and Reiter, 2006).

This extract is from the book ‘Creative Habit’ by Twyla Tharp, who explains the idea of muscle memory. Muscle memory is memory through repetition. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort. This also relates to dancers being ‘online’, reflection-in-action, linking to shon and Kottcamp. It is automatic, as Tharp explains, dancers do not even notice that their muscles have this ability to obtain a memory and simultaneously perform a task. I had a knee arthroscopy about two years ago, and I made sure my fitness was in top condition before I underwent surgery. Because of this, my muscle memory enabled me to return to exercise a lot sooner that I had anticipated.

Reflective practice is imperative to the arts. It accommodates learning, progression and evolution in your field, therefore reaching a higher level of understanding and mastery. I have discovered through reading the various theories in reader two that many apply to my own professional practice, and the reader acts like a magnet to my thoughts- expanding on any ideas I have and putting ‘two and two together’. I intend to apply these new ways of thinking into my work and will be compelled to really question my thought process in more detail as I continue with this module.

References

Dewey, John (1934) Art as experience, 1958 reprint, New York: Putnam.
Kolb, D.A (1984) Experimental Learning, Englewood NJ: Prentice Hall.
Tharp and Reiter (2006) The creative Habit, New York, Simon and Schuster. Dewey, John (1933) How we think 2007 reprint, Champaign: Standard publications, Inc.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Katrina - concepts and theories sound like remote things - but they are really just ways to organise knowledge - your blog show that you are taking them as such - and applying the ideas to what you do - a core part of the course because you will be identifying an area of practice to use for your final inquiry work - often practical things are taught as what to do but the 'way to think about what you do' part is left out - but it is definitely in play here - ideas can be embodied and therefor the mind and the body need not act as separate functions - ideas are there all the time we just need to identify the and allow them to help us with our critical thinking. I like the addition of reflective practice as being relevant to the arts - look at this post and the learning outcomes in the module handbook and you will find a lot in common I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina,

    I agree with your views on Kottkamp's theories. It is interesting to see how academics find on-line reflection difficult because as a dancer, this is something we use constantly.

    I feel this knowledge has made me think about how I reflect and approach physical and academic tasks in my work differently. Do you feel you approach your reflective academic work on the BAPP differently because you are so used to using on-line reflection? For example, do you use off-line or on-line reflection differently depending on the task you are doing.

    Thanks again,

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete