Monday 23 March 2015

Phone call with Paula Nottingham

I had a really interesting chat on the phone to Paula Nottingham today about my progress so far on the BAPP course. I was really stuck on how to begin task 2:C, some of the theories didn't make any sense to me and I felt that I couldn't relate to them. I thought I had to interpret each theory and write in depth of how I use each one in my profession, but I just couldn't think of anything!!
However, once I got talking to Paula I realised that reminiscing about my professional career brought back past experiences, and eventually ideas. Whilst in the rehearsal period for a cruise ship we would be learning and practising 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 5 different shows in a 4 week period! Which was very demanding and exhausting, so a "performers diary" proved very useful as I noted any corrections that were given to me and steps of the routines- I can relate this to my journal and my blogs; it is still a progression of learning and reflecting back on your work. Most evenings all of the dancers would usually congregate in one tiny apartment to learn the shows- so we would be sharp and impress the choreographer in the next days rehearsal. We also put ideas into practice. One particular number in one of my production shows was a 'Bob Fosse' inspired routine. So to really capture the true essence of Bob Fosse's style, we concentrated on the intricate style and movements for most of the rehearsal period, to really do the piece justice. This is definitely something I can incorporate into my reflective theory- how I have put ideas into practice.
I find that I am networking everyday without even realising it. I am an avid Facebook user and I am forever looking at the stage, ballet companies and other dancers I am friends with, to see what they are up to. One video I watched today made an impression on me. It reminded me of my time at ballet school; how you have to be mentally very strong, as well as physically. You can be technically a very able-bodied dancer, but if you do not have the discipline and mentality you will not make it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGx7bTXa9wo&feature=em-uploademail&app=desktop


It is a huge sacrifice to be a Ballet Dancer and I found it extremely difficult whilst I was studying at Ballet School. I felt as if I was a robot; my love of dance was disappearing and the strict discipline and training was an environment I just didn't want to a part of anymore.

Currently I am working in retail for Clinique, which is something I enjoy and I am very passionate about. My Love of make up has progressed from my time on the ships as I loved preparing my stage makeup and hair before each show! I had an ankle arthroscopy about 9 weeks ago to remove a cyst, which was extremely painful but was long overdue and was causing me a lot of discomfort whilst dancing. There is a long road to recovery ahead of me, and at the moment I am gently trying to ease myself back into exercising, which is proving very frustrating as I am used to doing so much more! But I am persevering and I keep telling myself to keep positive and that I will dance again!!

So thank you Paula for stimulating my thought process again; talking about past experiences has opened up so many different ideas to expand on in my reflective theory.



Katrina x


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Katrina - very useful reflection on your professional practice and personal motivations.

    ReplyDelete