Monday 2 March 2015

Module 1:Task 1A- Professional Profile

What is a professional profile?


I envisage a professional profile to be something that 'sells' yourself to the consumer, an effective and snappy paragraph that pin points all your key attributes, as if you were presenting it in person, eg; in an interview. It should cover a brief history of your training, qualifications, and career in a personable manner and still keeping interest. 

My cv's

I have a variety of cv's for different job applications. After looking at some alternative BAPP blogs I discovered that many had the same 'structure' like myself. My professional dance cv has a recent headshot on the top right hand corner, which can be crucial to directors/choreographers sifting through piles and piles of cv's - if you have the right look,just from your cv, than can alter your chances of getting the job. 
This biased attitude is unfortunately well known in the dance industry, and I can remember an audition where we were all lined up in height order, studied rigorously, then told to leave the audition because my 'look' was not suitable for their standards. 
Underneath my profile I state where I trained, and my theatre credits in chronological order.

Here is my Professional Dance cv:

The professional dance world provide jobs that are few and far between. In auditions you are competing against fresh talent straight out of full time training, which is hard as you cannot comply to this standard as you are not studying dance for 7 hours a day anymore!
This is why I always have a CV for 'inbetween' jobs, and especially in the last 2 years where I have suffered dance injuries, a torn knee ligament and an ankle arthroscopy has stopped me from pursuing jobs in the dance world. This is definitely something I will expand on later on in this course.

Here is an example of my retail CV:

https://www.cv-library.co.uk/cgi-bin/view.cgi

This is attached to CV Library, a website which is designed to find work for you. This CV is different compared to my Dance CV as it presents a brief profile at the beginning of myself, my current employment status and what path I wish to take in the future.
My employment history then demonstrates my skills and job title in a few sentences, so the employer obtains a better understanding of myself in the workplace.



My Professional profile (draft)

My name is Katrina Wilson and welcome to my blog. I am a Dancer currently living in Southampton.
I began dancing from the tender age of 3 and wasn't particularly interested in dancing until I was chosen to take part in a local pantomime by my dance teacher. I was transfixed by the theatre and the performances were mind blowing to me. It was at that point I was opened up to the dance world and developing one love in particular, Ballet. I auditioned for the Royal Ballet mid associates programme by age 13 and was accepted on to the course, travelling every weekend with my dedicated mother for classes at the Royal Ballet Lower School at Richmond Park Surrey, and the Upper school in Covent Garden London, until age 15.
I decided I wanted to pursue ballet as a career. I auditioned for many vocational schools and I was accepted with a full scholarship into Elmhurst School for Dance, in association with the Birmingham Royal ballet, where I graduated after 3 years with a National Diploma in Professional Dance.
Ballet school was not everything I thought it was going to be. Injuries, pupil favouritism and a 6 day week/ 8 hour day timetable was a challenging environment, and the magic and love of ballet slowly began to disappear.
I wanted to be able to 'dance' again. I started auditioning in my third year and after countless knock backs and recalls, I was offered a contract with Princess cruiselines. There I had the time of my life dancing in the production shows visiting the Caribbean, New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii.
I was then lucky to gain employment with the worldwide production of 'Sesame Street', where I was a Swing dancer.
Eventually recurring injuries could not be concealed any longer and I decided to fix my body whilst I was still fit and healthy to do so. Time out from dancing enabled me to think long and hard about what my next step would be. My new adventure is very exciting, the BAPP course at Middlesex University. I want to expand my knowledge, and completing this course will enable me to accomplish many things that I know I am capable of.






Any comments or advice on this blog would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 
























3 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina, I enjoyed reading your personal profile and your CV looks really good too. I'm looking forward to your next blog.

    Danni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Katrina - it certainly looks like you do not shy away for hard work - and your accomplishments show - these should offer plenty of experience for the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear a bit about how you got into dance Katrina. Your CV looks good it's clear and easy to follow. I hope everything is okay with the injuries now and look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete