Friday 10 April 2015

Skype session


Last night I had my first ever group Skype session with Paula and other BAPP students looking into part 3 of module 1. We initially discussed our thoughts about the course so far and our views on task 2, reflective practice. It was interesting to hear others talking about how they perceived the task and I was relieved I am on the same page as them and I'm not as behind as I thought!!
Paula then talked about a concept which emerges in part 3 which was communities of practice and networking. To really grasp this idea we were given a short task, to produce circles on a piece of paper of our own communities of practice. I realised that I had many different circles in mine: 


Once we discussed our 'circles' within the group, someone pointed out that she had separated her peers in her workplace into different circles, which I found intriguing. Catherine also added that she has produced the same idea; she would turn to different colleagues in different situations, therefore they are in their own circles. 
It got me thinking about my own. I have many different aspects of my life, uni work, gym, friendships, and it can be a struggle at times to maintain an equal balance. We talked about how survival and competition is apart of professional life and you are constantly juggling your networks. Tom discussed how he finds it difficult to find a balance in these circles, which I totally agree with. You come across many dancers working in the same field as you, practically part time or flexible jobs such as bar work or promotions, aswell as constantly networking to find and even attend an audition. At the moment I am trying to find a happy medium between my uni work and finding a sufficient amount of time to go to the gym, as I am recovering from an operation and it is crucial that I keep my ankle moving to improve it's strength and mobility. Distance learning has proved difficult to me as I have to be so disciplined in my spare time and prioritise my work load so I can still pay attention to my other networks. The task really got me thinking about the relationships I have in my life and how they affect me. 
I am about to embark on task 3, however I can't seem to find reader 3 on my learning?? I don't know if anyone else have had this problem? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!! 

Thanks, 

Katrina x

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katrina
    It was nice too speak to you in our online session. I am too finding the balance between professional life, social life and BAPP really hard. I have struggled to discipline myself and manage my time to make the most out of all aspects of my life. I am finding it hard to network about important auditions etc whilst having a workload. I realise now more than ever that our networks are extremely important, just as you have. I am currently researching different techniques in time management and will let you know if I find any useful tips.

    ReplyDelete