Tuesday 29 March 2016

Uni campus session: 22.03.16




This week has been so hectic for me so I haven't been able to blog about the campus session until now! Last Tuesday I had a very productive day with the other BAPP students from various modules and it was lovely to finally meet everyone in person.
We started off the session with a few 'mind games' that Paula had laid out for us.
Firstly, Paula asked us to jot down anything that came to our head and we were given 1 minute to complete the 20 empty boxes. I didn't know what to think at first but I thought about what I did that weekend, and as I was on a hen do in Belfast I completed the spaces with anything that popped into my head:

I guess this was to activate our brains!
 
Then we were asked to draw a sketch of the person sitting next to us in one minute: 
  

I found this easy to do and the point of the task was to see how we 'perceive' others and create an idea about them in our heads before we put pen to paper.  
Lastly we talked about Ideas. We were all asked to think about an idea, and use images to translate that idea. I used Transformation:
 
 
I tried to depict the transformation of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly, however by looking at other's drawings in the group I realised mine was a bit obvious and maybe less imagery, and more abstract doodles would of been more appropriate to portray my idea.
 
 
 
We then looked into the idea of an 'Appreciative Inquiry':
" Appreciative inquiry is a model that seeks to engage stakeholders in self determined change, and has been used with teams, organisations and, in the case of Nepal, societies. " (Wikipedia)
 We applied the four stages of appreciative inquiry (Edwin c.Thomas) to construct a plan for distance learning on the BAPP course. The 4d cycle consisted of discovery, dream, design and destiny:


 I discovered through this plan that it is vital to note the positive and the negatives to the situation; it highlights two points of view which will be apparent to me when I undertake my professional inquiry. In addition, it was intriguing to hear other's perspectives on the BAPP course so far and it made me feel at ease knowing that we are all in the same boat!
Lastly, we split up into our module groups where I had a little chat with Lily and Charnelle who are also on module 2. We discussed our inquiry plans and also our thoughts and ideas on where to go with our inquiry plan next. I really felt that the campus session with others on the course and Paula was invaluable to me and I definitely work better bouncing off other's ideas within discussions. I look forward to coming up again in a few weeks time for a study day.

Katrina x

References
 
Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Approach to Change  (Edwin, C.Thomas).
 



3 comments:

  1. thanks Katrina - very useful description of the creative exercises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good use of visuals as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you put a picture of your notebook up for others - the one you used to hep direct you in the library? it was like a mini office.

    ReplyDelete