Thursday 3 March 2016

Phone call with Paula: New direction for my inquiry

After a phone call with Paula Nottingham this afternoon, I have gained insight into what my potential line of inquiry could be. We talked about the topic I was interested in and what I had been looking into since my deferral of module 2 in november. As I was still working in retail at the time, I wanted to research the need for professional nutritionists and psychologists in vocational dance schools as I feel strongly (from my experience) that young dancers are not nurtured as well as they should to develop into mature adults. However, Paula noted that this could be difficult to develop into a line of inquiry as it is not relevant to my current practice.

Recently, I have been offered a new job role of a therapy assistant with the NHS; a role which consists of assisting a physiotherapist in the care of orthopaedic patients.
This new development in my career is a huge turning point in my life and has made me think, could I use my potential inquiry in conjunction with my professional practice?

Paula thought this would be a good idea and a good plan of action for me. From my experience of dance training and my knowledge of the body, I could potentially incorporate this with my new professional practice. There are several ideas going through my head already and I can't wait to get started in my new job as a therapy assistant.
Are there any similarities between dance therapy and physiotherapy? I shall soon find out!
Dance movement therapy is something I might go into in the future, and by completing my inquiry within my new practice, it could be an invaluable stepping stone into the industry.

I will keep you all updated once I start my new job, but in the meantime the mammoth amount of research begins!

Katrina

x

1 comment:

  1. Katrina yes a lot here with a lot of potential for a useful professional inquiry - look to the literature now and continue discussing and shaping your direction.

    ReplyDelete