Wednesday 22 April 2015

Task 3C: My 5 sources of information

I was quite stuck on how to begin this blog, so I looked through a few fellow BAPPer's tasks to gain some inspiration! 
As it turns out I have a variety of sources of information accessible to me:

Firstly, I think it would have to be the internet. It's my focal point of call whenever I want to 'google' something for more in depth information on a subject matter. The interenet is so easily attainable and I can more or less look up anything I wish. I particularly like using an online thesaurus for all of my BAPP work,it enables me to quickly flick through to different variations of words I want to use instead of the old fashioned book- lazy but nesessary at the moment!  

My phone... Is something I feel I am virtually attached to and couldn't live without. Even now I am blogging from the 'blogger' app! I have so many apps on my iPhone; the mail online and the guardian is something I regulary look at every morning when I wake up, my virtual newspaper. I like to know what's going on in this world we live in, especially with the election round the corner. I use Skype from my phone for the BAPP group sessions as I am normally on the go and not always in one place at one time sat infront of my laptop. 

YouTube is a great visual source of information. I am still a bit of a ballet geek at heart and I love to spend hours watching endless clips on YouTube; either from ballet stars or promising ballet students from such competitions as Prix De Lausanne or the Youth America Grand Prix. It's intriguing to see what new fresh talent is out there. I'm also obsessed with makeup as I do work in cosmetics, so I turn to YouTube videos to update myself on the current trends- bloggers tutorials are quick and easy to follow. 

The theatre.. I absolutely love the theatre and fortunately for myself one of my friends works at our local theatre so I can usually get tickets for about £5! It's imperative to still be involved with the industry even though you aren't not currently in it; after all it is my passion. This year I have seen Matthew Bourne's Edward Scissor hands,Wicked, Singing in the Rain, ENB's Coppelia and Carlos Acosta's production of 'on before'. It is so inspiring to see new works at the theatre, and in addition to Ballet I am just a little bit obsessed with musicals! It really does motivate and compels me to keep going, and it's also such a breath of fresh air to actually physically watch a performance, rather than heavily relying on the internet to observe new work. 

Blogs.. This has been such a new experience for me. At first I found it very difficult to get a grasp on the blogging world, but once I had experimented with a few I was good to go! Communicating and engaging with other students on the course has facilitated my learning and also opened my mind up to how different people think and interpret things. The Blogs have enabled me to reflect on my thinking and learning pattern for the first time, which has been a real eye opener for me. Being online has it's advantages of being so easy to use, but also the disadvantage of not having that one to one attention with your tutor. I am thinking of possibly travelling to London for a few campus sessions either this module or when module 2 starts in October, it isn't too far away from me and I think it will definitely give me peace of mind. 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrina,

    The BAPP blog network is such a valuable source of information. The way you approached this task shows just how true this is and it seems you are using it to help your studies which is good to see!

    Looking at the theory of Social Constructionism and making sense of the world around you, do you recognise this theory in the BAPP coursework as you are using the network available to you to complete tasks? Also, do you believe this is use of networking could relate to Axelrod's theories in any way (cooperation then defect)?

    Many thanks,

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess,
    Thank you so much for your comment, it really made me think and I definitely agree with you that social constructionism plays a part in my learning on this course. I normally re read the reader a few times then look at some blogs on the task so I can get a vague outline to start mine. Axelrod's theory presents itself too you're right. Engaging and communicating with other students facilities my learning and knowledge on the subject, and I guess we 'defer' each other by going solo and writing our own blogs. Have you started your critical reflection yet? I'm finding it difficult to keep it precise and not to ramble on!

    Hope you're well,

    Katrina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katrina,

    You talk about the internet and how we are connected all the time to changes going on in the World around us and our networks through our laptops and phones. It made me think of how this, although brilliant to keep up to date, could have a negative impact on the affiliation with have with others. We spend so long keeping updated online, that the immediacy of talking with another professional is sometimes substituted because we can do it all through the internet. What downfalls do you think there are to the networks you are using most?

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine,

    Thank you for the comment! I definitely think there is a fine line between using social media for personal use and using social media for professional networking. I do believe I can quite easily get sidetracked by sites such as instagram and Facebook, looking at pictures for hours on end and not really utilising my time wisely to develop my network. You're correct when you say we can rely too much on the internet and forget about socially engaging with other professionals face to face. I have found I have had to be self disciplined on this BAPP course, and I think the same goes for social networking online. If I am intending to develop my professional network through social media I have to be really proactive and try to ignore the distractions that surround me!


    Katrina xx

    ReplyDelete